Tuesday 29 March 2011

I need to talk about hair loss and hair maintenance...

In general, people will experience some hair loss in the later part of their lives, especially men.  Mainly, the hair loss problem can be seen on men more than women.

Okay, for my experience, I have been starting to lose my hair when I was probably in my mid-thirties.  I guess I finally realised that my hair was thinning more and more each year and my hairline was receding slowing as well.  At first I didn't know what to do.  I thought about seeking professional help but they were very expensive and no guarantee of me getting my hair back.  As they told me, "that is another program, and you need to pay more to get on another program that'll encourage hair growth.  What we are giving you for the first program is only to help you maintain what you have now".  Again, there was no guarantee to keeping what I have at that point as well..

So after some reading, doing my own research (googling)  and talking to some experts as well as with the help of a free consultation session by a "hair growth consultant", I think I have an idea on how to help maintain the hair that we have left on our heads right now.....  If you are interested, read on.....

I think what speed up the process of me losing my hair earlier on was my fault.  What I like to do when I wash my hair was to scratch my scalp while I lather the shampoo into my hair.  That is a humongous mistake.  The right way to do it is to massage your scalp with water and shampoo.  Be gentle.  I think it only makes sense.  I have felt a lot of improvement in "keeping" my hair since I started massaging my scalp when I wash my hair and I have been massaging my scalp for probably the past three years.  Not only that I have seen the difference, but the people around me as well.  The amount of hair that I lost in the past is something that I can't get back, but for sure, I can maintain what I have now and I feel that I've been doing a pretty good job at that since I changed the method of how I wash and dry my hair.  Speaking of drying my hair, it is important to follow on to read the next paragraph....

So after you wash your hair, do not use a towel to dry your hair completely.  This is also an important point I want to make.  It'll defeat the purpose if you massage your hair and use a towel to dry your hair completely.  When you use a towel to dry your hair, you tend to rub and scratch your scalp to dry your hair and that's how you can lose more hair.  So my suggestion is to use a hair-dryer to dry your hair after a shower.  What you can do before you use the hair dryer for your wet hair  is to just use your towel to dap dry your hair without being very vigorous with the towel.  Once your hair is less wet, turn on the hair-dryer and just dry your hair gently.  Another advice is do not spend too much time drying your hair, about 10 to 15 minutes would suffice.  You do not need to make your hair completely dry.  Using heat from the hair-dryer on your scalp too long is not very good for your scalp.  So just dry your hair enough so that your hair and scalp do not feel wet or water droplets trickling down your scalp.

For me, in fact, my wife has noticed that my "bald-er" spots actually have tiny little hair growing.  But honestly, I do not think that will be too much of hair growth.  This method I have mentioned above is more for maintenance of your hair and your scalp health.  As I understand it, the pores on your scalp are clogged up that's why we lose our hair.  So with my massage method, it'll encourage blood circulation on your scalp as well as, hopefully, unclogging the pores on your scalp.  Another thing is the hairstyle that you have is another thing that men fail to realise that it exposes your bald spots.  I can talk about that in another blog.

My disclaimer here is that I am not an expert at hair growth or hair maintenance.  The above is just my opinion and my experience that I am sharing with you and hopefully the above advice will help you as much as it helped me.  Notice that I do not use any special products, just some common sense.  Thanks for reading. I would welcome all your comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment